Friday, September 9, 2011

My Doodle Bug


Every year about this time, I get a little misty eyed. For most people that happens because the anniversary of 9/11 is right around the corner, but for me it happens because Carter D.'s birthday is tomorrow. My pregnancy with Carter was not the easiest in the world. I had numerous kidney infections and was diagnosed with gestational diabetes and had to take insulin shots. Needless to say, that on September 9, 2007, I was ready to meet my boy on the 10th! Little did I know that meeting him would turn into the most harrowing two weeks ever. Because Cash had been so big and had to be born via c-section, my doctor had scheduled a repeat section for me on September 10th at noon. She arrived a little early, so he was actually born at 11:54am. All was normal, as far as everyone was concerned when he was born and life was good. However, on the morning of September 11th, the pediatrician who had stopped in to look at all the new babies came into my room and told us that she was a little concerned. It seems that Carter's breathing was way too rapid and she had admitted him to the NICU for further testing. Thus began the worst experience of my life. It turns out that my little boy was very, very sick and the most helpless feeling in the world was not being able to do a darn thing to help him feel better. It turned out, after much testing, that Carter had both sepsis and pneumonia, and no one could figure out how he contracted them, especially because he was a c-section birth. He had to be treated with massive doses of antibiotics, and we were not even allowed to hold him for his first few days in the NICU. Let me just tell you, when someone says they do not believe that there is a God, I just want to tell them that having a child that you think might not make it will make you hope like heck that there is indeed a God and he is listening to you! After almost two weeks, and many, many prayers, Carter was able to come home with us. Doctors never did figure out why he was so sick, but I am ever so grateful that they were able to treat him and make him all better. So, tomorrow I will wake up and have a healthy, happy (most of the time) four year old and I will say a very big thank you prayer to God for watching over my little Doodle Bug....

No comments:

Post a Comment